2012 WHEELS ON WOODENBONG (WoW) FESTIVAL POSTPONED
Wow Festival organisers have had to postpone the WoW Festival to have been conducted on 29/30th September at the Showgrounds, off Lindesay Creek Road Woodenbong NSW. The second annual family friendly MTB cycle race and Festival are postponed owing to circumstances beyond its control. When Tailwinds Promotions advised that rider numbers were insufficient to stage the competition. Changes to the date of the Official Queensland State Competition was the major factor in the postponement as riders were unable to compete at the Official Queensland State championships and the Woodenbong MTB competition, so the Queensland State competition took precedent.
The WoW Committee on behalf of the Urbenville and Woodenbong Progress Associations are understandably disappointed as the community was looking forward to the MTB event and as a consequence considerable time and money has been expended.
However, the event was such a success in the past that the WoW Festival committee plans to schedule an even more successful event in the future. The objective of the MTB event within the Wow Festival is to raise funds to complete first class cycling infrastructure in the Woodenbong/Urbenville area.
(quote) “As disappointed as we are the event cancellation for this weekend we are confident that when we hold WoW Festival 2013 it will be better than ever” says Lee Furlong, Event Spokesman. “We also wish to thank most sincerely those persons and entities that have contributed so much already. They are;
Twisted Tucker (our caterers), Redback Cycles, Woodenbong Showgrounds Trust, Woodenbong Hotel, Rathdowney Historical Society, Urbenville Historical Society, Dr. Lindy Piggen, Calamia Collectables, Enviro Survival, and the members of the WoW Organising Committee 2012”
FOR REGISTRATION AS AN ENTRANT IN THE
Wheel on Woodenbong Festival Mountain Bike Endurance ride please go to:
Friday welcomes set up time for campers and evening entertainment, food and bar available. The 2 day WoW Festival follows and is designed to attract all mountain bike riders, enthusiasts, families, farmers and offers a family-friendly event. The Mountain Bike sector of the event organised by WoW Festival partner, Tailwind Promotions offers MTB Endurance Rides, MTB theme stalls and recreational exhibits along with a cycle mechanic, food & lifestyle stalls, Expo of local businesses, historical displays, skateboard riding, ‘Kids Corner’ activities, massage and complementary health practitioners. The WoW Cafe at the Pavilion serving modern country foods and a vegetarian menu will be open all weekend. An active ‘Speakers Tent’ with stimulating topical talks and demonstrations of interest to a wide sector of the community. Offset carbon certificates – buy a tree, we will plant it on your behalf.
On Saturday 29th the programme is a MTB 4 hour Enduro Ride (all ages) begins at 1:00pm, & 1-4 hour Junior MTB ride events for ages 12 to 15. Also the Festival includes, Woodenbong Yowie Country Market at Woodenbong Hall 8am-3pm, and at the showground the Festival offers the activities as mentioned above. Saturday afternoon and evening activities features food with vegetarian options, with bar service and live entertainment and includes the MTB winners presentations will take place at 7 pm.
On Sunday 30th, riders are invited to participate in recreational rides, with competition sections, to Toloom Falls, Urbenville and return to Woodenbong.
Sunday’s WoW Festival’s Feature is themed to Celebrate the ‘Australian Year of the Farmer’ with a “Heritage Picnic”. The day begins with a Combined Church Service from 8.45am to 9.30am, the Speakers Tent commences at 10.30am, (Keynote Speaker will be Dr. Lindy Piggin who will speak on “preparing youth for the challenge of the 21st century”) where seating is provided. BYO picnic or food will be available at the WoW Café and stalls.
Calling on all of our farming community to celebrate the achievements of our farmers, past, present and future. The entire proceedings will be video taped for the purpose of utilising the video for Promotion, PR and ‘Getting the Messages from the Farming Community’ out for presentation to Governments and Media. Video and audio interviews will be undertaken with the districts farming families to preserve forever the farming history of the area. Interviews will be lodged with Historical Societies and with the National Library in Canberra.
WoW Festival is a Proud Supporter of the Australian Year of the Farmer and the Heritage Exhibition and Picnic is our salute to our ‘Farmers’. If you are a farmer and have something to say; do come, and let your views be known.
Camping space, showers and toilets available at the showground. The camping fee is $5.00 per person per night. Camping tickets will be available at the WoW Cafe. A community bus will be offered free to commute to and from the showgrounds and Woodenbong Village.
Entrance to the WoW Festival is by donation to assist the not-for-profit event committee.
For further information please contact; Lee Furlong, 07 5679 5446 or on Email:
Competitive and recreational MTB riding info & registrations www.tailwindpromotions.com.au
Tailwind Promotions’ final event for 2011 is the all new and exciting WOW 4HR Enduro at the Wheels on Woodenbong Festival.
The WoW Festival aims to turn the border ranges towns of Woodenbong and Urbenville into an exciting destination for everyone who loves two wheels. The regional steering committee’s vision is one of a successful and sustainable centre for BMX and mountain biking.
Tailwind Promotions has been invited to assist the committee by establishing and running a mountain bike race as part of the festival.
The inaugural WOW FESTIVAL was held Saturday 26th & Sunday 27th November 2011
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ON THE
Wheels on Woodenbong Festival/Mountain Bike Endurance Bike ride, please go to:
The inaugural WHEELS ON WOODENBONG Program Summary is shown below and the new agenda will be posted as soon as announced.
Call back for details.
SATURDAY ACTIVITIES – 26 November 2011
– Yowie Country Market & Music Day SATURDAY 8:00 am to 3:00 pm at Woodenbong Public Hall & grounds.
– Set up camping at Showground and Camping Grounds
– Woodenbong Loop Ride to start at Yowie Country Markets
– Free riding – download the maps on the website showing road and trail rides in the area, ride to Urbenville and Tooloom Falls or on forest tracks
– Woodenbong Golf Club tee off for the Chook Run – 9 hole three person Ambrose
– Lunch at Yowie Country Markets, Food Store opposite garage, Woodenbong and Urbenville pubs
– Dinner at Showground family food stall, Woodenbong Golf Club, Woodenbong and Urbenville pubs
Family Movie – Matinee & Evening – at the historic Woodenbong Picture Theatre
SUNDAY ACTIVITIES – 27 November 2011
Main Stage – commencing 10:00 am until finish 4:00 pm
– Welcome to country, Aboriginal dancers, official welcome speeches and tree planting
– Live music, Bands, choirs, dancing groups, bush poetry, karaoke and more….
– Yowie Country’s Talent Showcase – bring your talent and have a go on the main stage!
– Endurance Ride winners presentation
Bike Events: – commence from 10:30 am
– Four hour endurance ride through beautiful state forest, test your skills
– Easy family fun ride on the Common hill
– All day hill riding for all ages
– Bike obstacle courses, one for little kids and one for bigger kids
Green Tent: Speakers Tent:
– Lifestyle talks on the environment, healthy lifestyles, alternate power
Fun Activities and Aboriginal Culture:
– Pony Club activities in the main ring to watch all day
– Loads of fun for kids with State of Origin races, competitions, art and craft table
– Tea and coffee area for adults with a range of cards and board games to play
– Aboriginal Storytelling Circle with stories, workshops and cultural activities
Business Showcase and Stalls:
– Local business showcase
– Yummy food stalls and bush tucker
– Local art and craft stalls, bike accessories and organic herbs and plants
– Local alternate health practitioners, massage, health checks and information
Event Information: email@example.com